Work process are the main feature of SampleNavigator.
You can define workprocesses uses a combination of Microsoft Visio and SampleNavigator.
In SampleNavigator every users only sees the processes he/she is allowed to execute, other work processes are hidden. Each work process is stored in a separate Microsoft Visio file.
You can create Workprocesses with Microsoft Visio.
A visio file can contain two kinds of work processes:
– Work processes that involve an action of the computer, so they are executed by the software. For instance scan a sample, insert data.
– Work processes without action of the computer. Those are purely manual task
Actions of the computer can be:
- With explicit user involvement, like scan a sample, insert data;
And they can be further split to actions that go automatically to the next step, and actions that wait until the users approves it, and pushes a button.
- Without user involvement, like get HL7 Messages
Defining what happens after an action is rather simple;
Actions are connected with arrows, arrows point to the next actions.
You can define work processes in the language of your choice.
Below an example of a step in a work process.
We have an emtpy Sample Holder, and we want to insert the first sample in this Sample Holder.
For instance a tube in a box.
Data can be associated with one or more samples.
Below an example of inserting patient data
In the example you can insert the “Last Name” of a patient, the “Maiden Name”, “Initials” and “Date of Birth”.
You can insert the data in a vertical form (easy for one record), or in a row (easy for multiple data).
One of the nice features of the interface is the ability to search for existing data. Sometimes you are not sure that a patient is already registered in the system. You can search on each of the fields. This search facility prevents double registration of data
Prototype as stepping stone
No organisation is exactly the same. Software must support your own protocols, translated to work processes. Those work processes must contain actions for the computer, but also for people and instruments. All seamlessly glued to one logical work process.
The use of work processes has a lot of advantages:
- Precise execution of protocols
- Auditing: you know exactly what protocols were executed
- Save time, you only have to click to initiate actions
- Proofing. you can proof later what protocol was executed
- Learning, the computer lead the people around
SampleNavigator lets you define/create your own work-processes